Having an opportunity to engage with prospects and clients is something that I truly enjoy. As part of my day-to-day activities in business development and account management here at PolicyMedical, one of the questions that consistently comes up from prospective clients is “What are the advantages of policy management software for hospitals?”. To help answer that question, I have put together our very own Top Ten List.
Top Ten Reasons Why Hospitals Should Utilize Policy Management Software
- The ability to restrict access to documents, and to grant permissions to edit, review, and approve policies and procedures based on user access privileges.
- Enforcement of templates and styles on policies to guide authors to maintain your healthcare facility brand and associate specific regulatory obligations with the document.
- The consistent and accountable workflow can improve the efficiency in creating, reviewing, and approving policy documents, and track all tasks with full audit trails on who did what and when to the document.
- Version Control: Prevent out-of-date, non-standardized, duplicate and poorly written policies and procedures. Healthcare organizations also avoid ending up with policies scattered on different internal websites and file shares, with no audit and archival trails.
- Reduce the time required to manage policies and procedures by 70%-80%. A software platform can help healthcare organizations manage the lifecycle of documents through automated communication tools, assessment, monitoring, tracking and reporting of related activities.
- A policy management software with collaboration and sharing features is a great tool to break down barriers for managing and sharing content among coworkers or within specific groups.
- Enhanced Compliance: Improve compliance by employees with hospital policies and procedures by more than 600%.
- Centralized Documents: All relevant policies, procedures, protocols and guidelines are stored in one location and readily accessible for your employees. Another benefit of centralization of documents is in avoiding distribution, copying, printing, binding costs, which are commonly associated with manually controlled systems.
- Limit liability and risk exposure from ineffective policy management. This can aid in decreasing the risk exposure pools managed by self-insured entities.
- Accreditation Readiness: The ability to crosswalk and link policies and procedures to related regulatory requirements and accreditation standards (i.e. The Joint Commission, DNV, CMS, AAAHC, etc.), state and national health requirements, established risk mitigation initiatives and controls, and provide a compressive view of policies as they relate to governance, risk management and compliance.
Hospital Executives and Staff Endorse Policy Management Software
There are many different reasons that hospitals adopt a policy management software platform to benefit healthcare-delivery environments. The list above was compiled by interviewing a number of Corporate Compliance Officers, Risk Managers, CIOs, CTOs, Quality Improvement Directors, and other hospital staff members to determine the key advantages of adopting a policy management solution like PolicyManager™. Their statements clearly illustrated that purchasing policy management software provided them with measurable benefits, thereby raising the organization’s level of patient safety and ultimately reducing its risks. (It is important to note that the ranking above may vary depending on the type of healthcare facility and the specific needs of that organization.)
Still unsure as to whether or not a policy management software could benefit your hospital? If we, let’s take a look at your current situation and needs and see if it makes sense for your organization. Just contact our team to schedule a demonstration.