Managing policies is an important role that comes with a lot of responsibility. At PolicyMedical, through our close relationships with those working within the industry we are able to fully appreciate this and it motivates our team to make the most user friendly and robust policy management software on the market. That is not to say our offering is perfect, but we try our upmost to have a product that solves as many issues as possible for those that manage policies. Therefore, you may find our products to suit your needs and requirements or it may be another vendor has a better offering; we’ll let you decide.
We have heard 100% across the board from those that manage policies, whether they use PolicyManager or not, that healthcare policy management software has made their lives easier. Thus, it is non-more so true by the very virtue that today’s healthcare space has more policies and procedures than ever. That said, it is widely agreed upon that the job is still an incredibly difficult one. For those that perhaps don’t know what managing policies entails, the following list will give you an idea:
- Managing an enormous spreadsheet (that may only make sense to her) that details what policies are due and by when they need to be updated.
- Chasing down various clinical and non-clinical managers, directors and vice presidents to update policies. This usually entails sending many unanswered emails, placing several phone calls, or just showing up at various policy stakeholders’ offices.
- Receiving all updates of all policies via email and even in paper versions with hand written updates
- Modifying updates to policies indicated by policy stakeholders’ edits
- Posting policies on the intranet and/or placing copies of policies in various binders and manuals around the facility
- When a surveyor or inspector shows up unannounced and asks to see policies that staff cannot find quickly – the Policy Queen is the individual that receives frantic calls
It is easy to see that a good Policy Manager needs to be good at multitasking and being organized. These are perhaps the two most fundamental skills they need to have in order to adequately undertake the role. Another key attribute is the ability to handle pressure. This is because healthcare providers need to do their utmost to mitigate risk, and this is a big part of a policy manager’s role.
Policy Managers are extremely valuable and should be part of the key decision making team when it comes to choosing a healthcare policy management system. This is because they are the individuals who will most use the system and be expected to administer it and train others how to use it. Any good healthcare policy management software vendor should offer training during the implementation stage but as members of staff come and go it is more practical for policy managers to train new team members. Thus, having a system they are comfortable with is essential. While an understanding of the system is necessary, the innate ability to teach others is another key attribute of a good policy manager.
Policy Managers Utilizing Policy management Software
Through speaking to policy managers across North America, we asked them what are some of the key features of healthcare policy management software that have made their lives easier and they identified the following:
- Policy management software that automatically emails all the correct people 120, 90, 60, or 30 days before a policy is due to update their policies.
- Notifications if someone misses their update process or she can simply view a real time report of everyone that has been sent reminders.
- The ability to be able to seamlessly and easily make policy changes in MS Word inside the policy management software.
- When surveyors or inspectors show up it is hugely beneficial that any member of staff will be able to find policies within seconds using lightening fast policy search tools.
Nobody knows how to be a good policy manager better than a policy manager who lives and breathes the profession. At PolicyMedical, we try and listen to these individuals as much as we can to learn from them and improve our software. While we do not shy away from the fact our software has evolved over the years to better serve our current clients, we hope that many of our key features resonate with others. Of course, we will never make a one size fits all product so the best way to find out if it does ‘fit’ your situation please contact us to find out more or request a no obligation demonstration.