Healthcare isn’t typically associated with the interpretation of a story. More commonly, it is directly influenced by quantitative results and strict facts. It is this idea that is put into practice which often can create division between the physician and patient, and affect the way policies and procedures are understood and applied in a specific setting. Storytelling and Narrative Medicine is the key to providing a higher standard of care and improving policy compliance.
What is Narrative Medicine & How Does It influence Policy?
Narrative Medicine is defined as the application of narrative skills to the field of medicine, according to an article from The University of Kentucky entitled, A Vision in Narrative Medicine. The model focuses on being able to make connections between diagnoses and understanding that not every procedure or policy is the same. What often happens is a patient case is treated by definition of the illness or condition but an individual’s variable responses to a treatment, or concern they may have, are not fully addressed.
Why is Storytelling Important In Advancing Patient Care?
With storytelling as part of the healthcare industry, there is a broader understanding of a patient’s needs and the differences in policies and procedures that exist across different institutions – and as a result, a higher degree of compliance:
- The patient is given control to report on his or her concerns and feels like they direct their care
- The physician addresses care in an individualized way
- It is more cost- effective because the nonlinear approach to medicine helps to prevent non-compliance which can lead to death
- Narrative medicine is part of the evolving landscape of technology and medicine, where Electronic Medical Records (EMRs) are leading to different frameworks of documenting histories
- The notion of storytelling also lends itself to understanding different methods of recording and interpreting info, all while harnessing the sensitivity of patient reporting and protecting privacy in an appropriate manner
How does Cloud- Based Technology like PolicyManager allow for accurate communication and why is its role important?
PolicyManager allows for accurate communication because policies can be added and updated to the hospital browser live. Also, numerous users that are part of the hospital policy committee are involved in creating the policies and updating them. Communicating the patient narrative is made easier because each specific healthcare institution creates its own protocols, which, although adhering to government guidelines, are tailored to the specific needs of the location and its patient populations.
PolicyMedical strongly believes in communicating the interests and needs of those we serve, which leads to overall happiness and health. The key is not only to begin a conversation but to continue it, to understand what solutions can improve standards of patient care. Policy Manager ™ not only places interdisciplinary communication at its center but ensures that every policy is up-to-date for all who are using the software. As well as providing users a seamless experience through its editing and sharing capabilities. Want to learn more? Contact us here or request a free no-obligation demo.