How to Standardize Community Based Care provided by your Healthcare Organization?
With the increasing healthcare needs and expenses in the United States, community-based palliative care is gaining more traction. In response to this, The Joint Commission has recently developed a Community-Based Palliative Care(CBPC) Certification program to help Home Health Organizations develop a strong roadmap for palliative care.
Designed for home health or hospice organizations that provide palliative care for patients in their homes, this certification program can help your organization build a robust, evidence-based framework to plan, deliver and monitor care. To be eligible for this certification your organization needs to have:
- Delivered CBPC services to a patient’s in their homes
- Served 5 palliative care patients in their home anytime in the last twelve months
- Have 3 patients actively receiving palliative care services at the time of their on-site survey
- Provide CBPC services 24/7, with on-call services as needed.
- Use clinical practice guidelines to deliver care
This certification is provided for a period of three years.
How will this Certification help my organization?
The standards prove a clear expectation regarding the palliative care approach for home care patients. They can help your team develop evidence-based policies, including specific admission criteria and clinical practice guidelines that help patients better manage their pain, dyspnea, anxiety, depression and other symptoms in a home environment.
The on-site survey process helps to further identified opportunity for more efficient delivery of care.
How do we begin?
- If you are already accredited with JC, get started by availing the CBPC Standards through your Joint Commission Connect extranet site and add the certification option to your upcoming resurvey or intracycle.
- Non-JC accredited providers can request a free 90-day trial of the standards.
- Before you take the CBPC survey, try the CBPC Self- Assessment Tool to check your readiness
CBPC Self- Assessment Tool
To familiarize you with the requirements of CBPC Certification, JC has developed a self- assessment tool. This tool explains the requirements of different EPs in terms of organization structure, processes and actions that must be taken to meet the CBPC standard. These EPs are in addition to those already used for the Home Care Accreditation.